Monday, March 19, 2012

What is an upcycle?

This headband was so fun to create... its a little french, a little nautical, a little Madeline, a total upcycle and totally adorable. My daughter Macy has made photographing my new pieces so much fun! Can you tell she's been modeling for mommy her whole life? It warms my heart to whisper sweet comments to her and watch her face light up. We also love to play peek-a-boo behind the lens and get a down right fun smirk out of her! As her mother, not much makes me feel better than to know that she truly feels beautiful and special. I had a blast with her in our back yard. The wind has blown the blossoms off one of our large trees in the back yard and made it look like snow! This is one of our favorite spots. Pop made us this special chair when my husband and I bought our first home.

Oh... and those red shoes were her personal touch, my little 4 year old insisted on them with this outfit. little
 { f a s h i o n i s t a }

What is an "upcycle" you say?

According to wikipedia : Upcycling is the process of converting waste materials or useless products into new materials or products of better quality or a higher environmental value.

Don't get me wrong, I like any other crazy crafting lady love to peruse the aisles of any fabric/craft store looking for the next amazing thing to add to my stash of supplies but there is something so expressively valuable about taking a fabric that would otherwise add to our landfills and make something beautifully usable from the useable remnant fabric and trim. Not to mention, the item created will truly only ever be one of its kind.

 It started when my sister purged her closet and found that several of her high end but most cherished tops made from amazing materials and fabrics were ripped or had holes. She couldn't give them away and was going to toss them but then decided to give them to me to use. Hmmm.... clean, intricate, vibrant in color and texture, trim, lace, lovely ...
"Once Loved" was born

Why shouldn't we all do what we can to find new and beautiful uses for items that would otherwise be thrown away?
Green is the new black

And without further adue... I give you the upcycled nautical fabric flower headband









"Once Loved" creation listed for sale in my etsy shop here:


No comments:

Post a Comment